TUTORIAL : HOW TO MAKE A POMPOM
If you happen to have a POM POM MAKING TOOL at your disposal, proceed to STEP 12 for instructions on how to attach your pom to your hat.
In case you don't have a Pom Pom Making tool, you can create a makeshift tool using a kitchen utensil like a garlic press, can opener, or a wide-serving fork. The space between the prongs or handles will determine the size of your pom. Opt for utensils with prongs approximately 1.5 inches apart for smaller poms, or choose items with prongs 3.5 to 4 inches apart for larger poms.
FOR THIS DEMO, WE USED A GARLIC PRESS WHICH MEASURES 2.5" HANDLE TO HANDLE.
1. Cut a 12" yarn tail and thread it onto a needle, then set it aside.
Next, take the remaining yarn and start wrapping it around the prongs of your makeshift tool.
Note: To create a full and fluffy PomPom, continue wrapping as much yarn as possible without it slipping off the handle.
2. Use your 12" yarn tail to loop it around the outer edge of the wrapped yarn.
3. After looping the yarn around the outer edge, double it up and tie a knot. This double loop creates a secure knot that won't easily slip or loosen, ensuring your Pom Pom stays firmly in place.
4. Firmly secure the knot by pulling it as tight as possible, taking care not to break the yarn tail.
5. Flip the PomPom tool over to access the opposite side of the wrapped yarn.
6. On this opposite side, tie another double loop knot, ensuring it's pulled tight and being cautious not to break the yarn.
7. Carefully slide the Pom Pom off the end of your tool.
8. Insert scissors through all the yarn loops on one side of the knot and cut them.
9. Insert your scissors through the remaining yarn loops and cut them.
10. Your pompom in the rough.
11. Give your pompom a trim to create a nice round shape.
12. Thread both of the yarn tails through your needle.
13. Starting from the outside top of your hat, pass the needle (with all the yarn tails) through to the inside. Flip your hat inside out, and fasten the yarn tails to a couple of stitches, securing everything in place with a knot.