BEAUMONT COLLAR © Project Weekend Creative LTD. 2020
A PROJECT WEEKEND BEGINNER SERIES PATTERN
Our Beginner series patterns are designed to guide you every step of the way and include detailed illustrations and how-to videos making it easy to get yarn onto your needles all the way to adding all the right finishing details to make your first project look super-pro!
This winter, add a soft, cozy knit layer to your defense against gusty winter squalls.
The Beaumont Collar knit up in our LOLL yarn is cozier than your average neck warmer and will soon become the accessory of the season you won’t want to leave the house without.
Featuring a super plush and stretchy 2x2 rib knit construction, the Beaumont has a softly fitted silhouette and gently hugs your neck seamlessly under any jacket and collared shirt. It works up virtually effortlessly and is a treat as a gift for anyone who loves bundling up in style.
Our LOLL yarn features a special blend of Merino Wool and Baby Alpaca fibers creating soft-as-a-kitten warmth and squishiness. Sustainably sourced and 100% naturally soft, (not chemically softened), LOLL is grown in the beautiful highlands of Peru and Argentina and spun in a Fair Trade Certified facility.
With cashmere-like softness, LOLL is not too chunky or hot, making it a perfect choice for all of your upcoming projects (hats, scarves, sweaters, blankets, cowls, interiors accessories). And because it's naturally anti-itch, it's perfect for all those baby gifts you want to make or for anyone who is sensitive to the itch of natural wool.
SKILL LEVEL : EASY
Easy projects are perfect for any knitter who has completed a few beginner projects and are comfortable making simple stitches like KNIT & PURL. Easy projects are great for those looking to take their skills to the next level. Easy projects might have simple increases and decreases for shaping, color work and knitting in the round techniques.
TECHNIQUES YOU WILL LEARN
- How To Hold Your Needles & Yarn
- Making a Gauge Swatch
- The Slip-Knot
- Casting-On Stitches (using the Longtail Cast-On Method)
- The Knit Stitch
- The Purl Stitch
- Knitting the 2x2 rib stitch
- Binding Off
- Weaving In Loose Ends
TIME TO MAKE
Baby, Child, (Youth), Adult
Finished Circumference: (Relaxed)
20 stitches in 2x2 rib x 16 rows = 4" x 4" square
BEAUMONT COLLAR KIT
SPEND MORE TIME MAKING AND LESS TIME RUNNING AROUND SOURCING SUPPLIES. Project Weekends' all-in-one Beaumont Collar Kit contains all of the necessary tools and supplies to get you started. (Knitting Needles optional with kit purchase)
- 1 ball of Project Weekend's LOLL, our exclusive naturally soft, 65% Fine Peruvian Highland Wool / 35% Superfine Peruvian Alpaca yarn. Each ball weighs 125 GR. (4.4oz) and has 125m (137y).
- 1 pair of 7mm Circular Knitting Needles (optional with kit purchase)
- 1 Knitters' Sewing Needle
- 1 "PROJECT WEEKEND x Me." Woven Label
- 1 "Made For You" Makers Gift Hangtag
- 1 Organic Cotton Project Bag
TECHNIQUE TUTORIAL VIDEOS & ILLUSTRATIONS
Not sure how to knit a specific technique? No worries, we've got your back! We've created videos and step-by-step illustrations for you to reference, so your project won't miss a beat. They are conveniently located throughout and at the end of the pattern for you to click and learn from.
WHAT IS IT & WHY MAKE ONE
A gauge swatch is a little test square of fabric that you knit before each project using the exact stitches in your pattern. Once complete, it will tell you if you are knitting too tight or too loose for the pattern that you are creating. This is a great tool because it helps you make sure that what you are knitting will measure out perfectly to the pattern and ultimately fit right.
Gauge swatches only take a half hour or so to make. yet a lot of people either rush through this process or skip it all together because they're so excited to get into knitting their project.
Please learn from our experience.....there is nothing more frustrating than knitting someone a sweater only to realize at the end (and after many invested hours of knitting) that if only we had made a gauge swatch, our beautiful sweater wouldn't have ended up fitting two sizes too small.
If you are new to knitting, think of the gauge swatch as a great opportunity to learn how to create your stitches before you start your main project.
This project is knit in-the-round using a circular needle. Watch the video How to Use Circular Knitting Needles for a demonstration of this technique.
K2: Knit 2 stitches
P2: Purl 2 stitches
BEAUMONT COLLAR PATTERN
1. With a 65" long yarn tail, cast-on 60, 60, (64), 68 stitches using the LONG-TAIL CAST-ON METHOD.
2. Place a STITCH MARKER on your right needle and join the work in the round, being careful not to twist any stitches.
3. Round 1: *K2, P2 repeat from * to the end of the round, transfer the stitch marker from the left to the right needle.
Tip: By repeating a K2, P2 stitch pattern over and over, you are creating a classic stitch pattern called 2x2 RIB STITCH.
4. Round 2 & onwards: Repeat round 1 until work measures 5", 5.5", 6.5", 7.5” from the cast on edge, transferring the stitch marker from the left to the right needle at the end of each round.
5. Remove the stitch marker and BIND-OFF in pattern, keeping the bind-off tension slightly on the tighter side.
6. Trim a yarn tail approximately 6” to 8” long thread it onto your knitters' sewing needle.
7. Start by weaving your yarn down through the first stitch of the next round. This will pull the last bind-off stitch down to meet the next row and eliminate the uneven "step" in the circular knitting round resulting in the creation nice smooth edge.
8. Weave in all loose ends and proudly sew on your Project Weekend x ME. label.
HOW TO MAKE A SLIP KNOT
HOW TO USE STITCH MARKERS
HOW TO KNIT THE KNIT STITCH
HOW TO KNIT THE 2X2 RIB PATTERN
HOW TO USE CIRCULAR NEEDLES
HOW TO CAST-ON USING THE LONGTAIL CAST-ON METHOD
HOW TO KNIT THE PURL STITCH
HOW TO BIND-OFF (CAST-OFF)
Excited to learn more knitting techniques?
Check out our full library of videos.